Friday 4 March 2016

Constructing the Water Filter

On the 3/03/2016 and 4/03/2016 I completed my SRP experiment at school. I really enjoyed doing this but before I talk about my experiment I would like to mention the preparation I did leading up to the experiment. 

A few days before my experiment I went to Bunnings and Woolworths and bought some of the materials needed for my experiment. I did not end up using the charcoal in my filter because I sourced this material from my house fire and when I was putting the filter together realised that the charcoal was not 'activated' meaning that it would not work in my experiment (I will go into more detail about this in my discussion). Then the night before my experiment I constructed my natural water filter using the method provided below: 
Materials Needed for my Natural Water Filter


















1. Use a rubber band and secure the filter paper to the mouth of the bottle with it bottom cut off. 












     


2. Measure out 1 cup of pebbles, 1 cup of fine sand and 1 cup of course sand. Rinse the pebbles in the water carefully three times to remove any dust. Put the sand in another bowl. Rinse the sand in water carefully three times. Swish the sand in the water then let it settle before your drain off the water.
    
   3. Pour the pebbles in the bottle. Then pour the course sand on top of that. Then pour the fine sand on top of the course sand. Below is my finished 'Natural Water Filter'. I tested the filter by filtering tap water through it. This filter was used in my own experiment



















1 comment: